Entering My Interior Castle

{This work arose from the reflection and processing through of a class that I am taking and presented on this semester where we have been studying St. Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle. It was a final "project" so the references refer to this as a project I've been working on.  A look into my soul's work this semester}

Amidst a semester’s inner work with and through the Interior Castle, parts of myself have been illumined as I reflect on this work within my present season of life. With each progression to a different mansion week by week, I realized that I’ve had a harder and harder time resonating and finding myself within the rooms of these dwellings. It wasn’t until I sat down to review St. Teresa’s words for this project that I’ve been able make sense of this uneasiness and the heart work that is in progress.

This season of my life, I find myself in what seems like a paradox of relatively permanent transition. New roles, new people, new job, new habits, new routines, new city, new STATE… basically everything within the last 6 months of my life has been a transition into a new normal. As a result, I’ve continually felt the pains of being uprooted from a place I felt deeply established, deeply known, sufficiently adequate, and firmly rooted. At the same time, parts of myself, that have been the most prominent sense of who I was before all this new took hold, are left in Iowa, in South Dakota, with dear souls that’ve moved all over the country. Yet, I the body in which I reside and the life that I’ve chosen is here, in this entanglement of new. I’m left with this sense of fragmentation, where I haven’t been able to collect the dissociated pieces of myself that are all over the place, and feel centered, or whole.

Up until this point, I thought I was having the identity crisis characterized by the fourth dwelling. And while it still could be, and parts of me might reside here, it was made strikingly clear when I read the words from Caroline Myss, “Here, you are no longer consumed by mental chaos or distracted by earthly reptiles” (247). Welp, that’s not me. In fact, it seems to be the opposite. It wasn’t until I finally allowed myself to truly reflect on Teresa’s dwellings that I turned back to some of the questions of the first mansion. The question, Where the heck am I?!? Seems to be particularly relevant to the state in which I find myself in, during this phase of my life.

Coming to this idea, of course, my inner critic went all “What? The first mansion? Seriously? I’ve got to be further along than that.” BUT, despite that voice initially bringing up shame in this realization, I find there is tons of grace in essentially going back to the basics, in order to restore some simplicity to the stage of life that I find myself in and ultimately, restore my sense of union with God. It seems that this transition of new, this feeling of literally being abandoned by myself and parts that make up myself and questioning of where am I, lead me to consider how I’ve experienced and seen obstacles to what Teresa has identified as the markings of the first mansion: humility, chaos, and the whisper of the Beloved.

Humility:
I’ve realized the depth through which I’ve been humbled. It seems that the peeling back and scattering of the outermost and familiar parts of myself has left me with the part of me that is dust. In this, I feel the pain of separation from God, maybe that arose after the fall, from creatures living into their creatureliness. For example, I feel the loneliness of being unknown, the shame of feeling inadequate, and the frustration of not knowing God’s will for my life. On top of it, I have become aware of my inability through this transition to discover God’s promises and trust that I belong in this place, where I am at. Realizing I don’t trust well in ambiguity is a pattern that I’ve become aware is so deeply imbedded into who I am. All things I’ve realized contribute to my understanding of my place in relationship to God. I’ve been humbled because I realize just how deep I am disoriented, fragmented and un-whole. These experiences of my external world have in a sense led to an awareness of the fragmentation as an “uncomfortable reality” and source of inner chaos. 

Chaos:
My experiences of humility have awakened me to the ways that chaos takes dominance in my life. In Chuck’s blog post about the first mansion he says, “Leaving the security of your attachments is akin to the Israelites leaving Egypt. It’s the only game in town, and it’s the game you know. ‘Switching stories’ is difficult. We are secure in the things we know.” This couldn’t be more true. In the process of my switching stories, being stripped of most of what I knew and felt secure in, my inner chaos has bloomed. I realized how insecure I am in myself and ability to make friends, succeed in seminary, be a well-liked and hard working employee, discern my calling and simply live out my truest self. So, I live into this anxious self, that is always conscious and concerned with how I am perceived to the world around me. I realized this anxiety is a fear that I nurture because I’ve become so accustomed to it’s hold on my life, for as long as I can remember. It helps me process, helps me prepare for the unknown. The sense of unfamiliarity in my external world, creates chaos in my internal world as far as my connection with myself and ultimately with hearing God’s voice and truth amidst it all. Yet, even through all of this, there is a divine sense of longing for so much more. I can hear God calling me to trust but I think if I actually trust, I might have to live life outside of anxiety, which is scary for me because it means I have to let go of the way I feel like things should be.

Soft Whisper of the Beloved:
As I read further and in more detail Caroline Myss’ work on the first mansion, I discover that I’ve definitely dealt with the work of humility and chaos, the darkness of self-awareness, but I’ve not considered the work of encountering the light and beauty of the first mansion which comes with discovering the divine in myself. This seems to be the thinking I tend to hold, especially in transition and new. Living into my anxiety and inner chaos, I lose sight and become deaf to the sweet, soft whisper of God. It is so easy for me to believe what is not, rather than what is. I live into this mentality here of who I am not anymore because I am in this new setting in life. I think my struggle has come from trusting and ruminating on the untruth of being unwhole, fragmented, misplaced, frustrated and insecure instead of trusting that God is present in every detail of my life and calls me to meet and trust him with my heart and soul.

Making sense of all of this, just even in the past week I’ve been working on this project, has helped me to see in greater depth a need to really work through and take my time on discovering parts of the first mansion that I seemed to have overlooked. This “discovery” has also led me to feel a little more free and focused, so that 1) I can take time to hone in on some disciplines of the first mansion. And 2) Teresa’s words have encouraged me to allow myself grace in knowing that I am dwelling with the Beloved, even in times of transition.

So to end, I’ve found a prayer that is thanking God for being present and meeting Godin a multitude of different experiences and realities. It also acknowledges the work that is still yet to be done in our lives, so this is my prayer for when this class is over, yet I still have much transformation to occur, it’s called “A Way to Go” and it’s by Frederick Ohler:

God of unceasing change
hear the gasps of those who are
stuck
trapped
addicted
perpetually adolescent
prematurely resigned
thinking that it will never get any better
clearer
or gentler for them.
Whisper…
thunder!
But do get through to them with the saving word
that persons need not stay the way they are.

Hear also the anxious, unspoken fears
of those who are productive
successful
comfortable
finding satisfaction in their work
pleasure in life
love at home
You in your heaven and all right with their world.
They never step on the sidewalk cracks
they say their prayers
they see their children beautifully, peacefully asleep in bed
and want so much to stop time
that
this innocence, security, and safety may be preserved forever.
Speak to them the saving word
the strange good news
that persons will not stay the way they are.
The word of faith is the same for us all;
We are always unfinished;
You are not through with us yet.
In the painful and pleasant changes of life
we meet You
and the Christ.
We call Him the Way and mean only the destination;
He is also and especially the journey
the process
the getting there
within, amid, through
the heart attack, the conversion, the birth, the death
the growing up and growing old and becoming like a child.
Good news to her who is not as lost as she thinks.
Good news to him who is not as saved as he imagines.
Good news to us all.
Way to go

amen.

Entering the Castle, Caroline Myss




Comments

Popular Posts