An Ode to my Grandparents

There is something about growing older.

Growing older brings laugh lines, and wrinkles, white hair and brittle bones and I am sure a whole bunch of various other things no one really tells you about. When we allow time to age us naturally, aging becomes a beautiful reminder of our past and the lives we've lived and left behind us.

Older means getting a bit wiser, with more life experience under your belt making you a bit more credible when people ask for your advice. No one really wants advice from a 21 year old, but 50, 65, and 80 certainly are ages that call for knowledge-filled words to be passed on.

That being said, I want to talk about my grandparents. What a privilege it has been to have some of the wisest and most loving people to learn from. My grandparents spend the majority of their days infiltrating others' lives with a whole bunch of love. As farmers, they worked the land, their crops and animals like crazy, so that they could provide for their family. They've shown me what real hard work can do and the blessings that can come from working hard and loving every minute of it.

You see, I have never seen either of my grandparents complain about any part of their lives, even as age continues to take hold of their days. Instead, they great each day with an attitude of gratitude, and let me tell you, each day is just as excited to greet them. My grandma radiates joy in and through any situation, any time, any place. Her presence is impossible to neglect, with her pure white hair, youthful stride and beaming smile. Faces light up as she introduces herself to strangers as "Grandma" and continues to ask about their lives. This is a woman who reflects all that is love, all that is good, all that is a faithful and loving servant of the Lord. Complimenting a sassy lady is my grandpa, a kind, tender-hearted soul. He has these huge hands, reflective of his work as a farmer, carpenter, dad, and grandfather. Even bigger than his hands, is his heart. A tear or two a day is pretty normal for him as his heart is something that loves so deeply and passionately. Together, the two make a power-couple. Providing wisdom, love and a model for living a life of passion and service.

My grandparents have aged beautifully. The life they have behind them and the life in front of them is welcomed with passion and love. The lines on their faces reflect a lifetime of experience with challenges, trials, joys, and celebrations that has helped them to pass on their knowledge to grandkids like me, who have really no idea what they are getting themselves into. It's because of age that I have people like my grandparents learn from and to be loved by.

Growing older is quite something.

Comments

Popular Posts